Maharashtra Raigad Building collapse
At least 16 people died after a building collapsed in a residential area of Mahad in Raigad district of Maharashtra on Monday. There are still 19 people missing with 78 people rescued till now. Earlier in the day, a four-year-old child was also rescued from the debris after the accident.
Three teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) were deployed at the site of the accident on late Monday. Also local police and fire brigade joined the NDRF in the rescue operations. A green corridor was also created from Pune to Raigad to create a swift passage for the NDRF teams.
Raigad building collapse: UPDATES
- Maharashtra Government has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakhs each to the families of the decreased. Also it assured strict action against those responsible for the building collapse.
- According to the Police, the cause of the incident is yet to be known.
- Initial estimates showed about 200 people still under the debris.
- The severity of the incident was reduced due to the ongoing lockdown with many residents gone to their native places.
- Almost 70 people fled the building when it began to fasten.
- According to the local media, the structure was 10-year-old and was built on a weak foundation.
- Police confirmed the process of filing the First Information Report (FIR) against the builder as well as the contractor, engineer, architect and the building consultant.
President and the Prime minister have expressed grief over the incident and prayed for the recovery of the injured.