World Kidney Day 2021
World Kidney Day (WKD) is observed on the second Thursday of March with an aim to emphasize the importance of kidney health. The day falls on 11 March this year and is also dedicated to the people suffering from kidney diseases. The theme for the World Kidney Day 2021 is ‘Living Well with Kidney Disease’.
Kidneys are important organs of the human body that remove waste products and excess fluids from the body. These also balance the levels of salt and minerals in the body.
On World Kidney Day, here are some tips to keep your kidneys healthy.
- Consume water-rich food: Drink adequate amount of water to keep oneself hydrated. Very less or excessive consumption of water are both harmful for the kidneys. Also increase the intake of water-rich fruits for proper nourishment.
- Limit the salt intake: Limit the salt intake to regulate the blood pressure as it is an early marker of kidney disease.
- Avoid foods with extra potassium: Avoid the extra potassium found in bananas, potatoes, tomatoes, and other fruits as the kidney is unable to filter it out.
- Adequate fiber-intake: AGood fiber-intake aids digestion as well boosts the kidney health. Add fiber-rich foods like beans, peas, carrots, broccoli etc. to the daily diet.
- Avoid eating out: Avoid outside foods as these are unhealthy and can cause kidney infection.
- Avoid overexertion/over-exhaustion of the muscles: Working out is essential for the body but do not overdo it as a severe muscle injury can sometimes lead to the kidney failure.